Never having been an admirer of the Kennedy clan, (with the possible exceptions of Jack and Bobby), I viewed Patrick Kennedy’s late night “rush to vote” while under the influence of “something” as a case of the apple not falling far from the tree. And well… at least he didn’t kill anyone.
So in the interest of fairness it’s important to look at Patrick’s “rap sheet” in it’s entirety before jumping to conclusions. So lets have a peek.
- March 26, 2000: A videotape captures Kennedy pushing a 58-year-old airport security guard backward and bumping the metal detector archway at Los Angeles International Airport. The catalyst apparently was that his luggage was too big for carry-on and he was disturbed the guard did not recognize him.
- Summer 2000: The Coast Guard removes a former Hub woman from a yacht for her safety after she and Kennedy had some drinks and a tiff. Kennedy had rented the yacht and trashed it, causing $28,000 in damage.
- July 2001: Kennedy makes remarks to the Pawtucket Times about U.S. Rep. Gary Condit of California. Kennedy says he is guilty of cheating on his wife and in the mysterious disappearance of the Washington intern he was having an affair with.
- Wednesday, April 12, 2006: While watching a demonstration of Impact Gel, a shock-absorbing material, Kennedy takes one to the face when a hammer head flies off the handle and hits him in the mouth. He gets six stitches to his bottom lip at Memorial Hospital in Pawtucket and cancels several public appearances.
- Saturday, April 15, 2006: Kennedy tries to turn into a CVS parking lot in Portsmouth, R.I.,, but turns into the vehicle in front of him instead. (police report available here – pdf file)
- Thursday, May 4, 2006: Kennedy crashes in D.C. Kennedy insisted that he had consumed “no alcohol” before he slammed his Mustang convertible into a concrete barrier near his office and he was rushing back to the Capital “to vote.” Kennedy issued a statement through his office blaming the accident and strange behavior surrounding it on prescription drugs.
Hmmm… the self inflicted “hammer shot” not withstanding, it would appear the young Kennedy has been a busy little boy. Emphasis on BOY. And this latest fling invoking the Kennedy legend of obfuscation, shirking of personal responsibility and an extreme propensity for lying out of his ass, seems to indicate something more than just falling from Kennedy apple tree. The young “man” fell out of the tree and has cuddled in the warm moist moss growing at its base hopeing all the while this all blows over and he can continue his ultimate quest for increased political power.
Sorry Patrick J, claiming “disorientation” then attempting to invoke Section 6 of the United States Constitution to avoid prosecution is not only a dis-service to himself, but a total disregard of the public trust. Rhode Islanders should toss this A-hole out on his ear.